Top Austin Leash-free Dog Parks
When living in any city and being a dog owner, outdoor space becomes an important factor that is necessary, but unfortunately is a luxury. Apartment and condominium dwellers depend on dog parks to keep their canine family members healthy and happy. Here in Austin we are lucky enough to have several good dog parks around town. I'm just going to name the top 5 that seem to be the most popular.
- Auditorium Shores - Located on Town Lake, this was probably the first leash-free dog park, before there were official dog parks. It's large, and centrally located so it's often crowded on weekends.
- Red Bud Isle - Located on 3201 Red Bud Trail, this park has become very popular, but has limited parking space. Many visitors deem it worth the wait for a space so their dogs can enjoy the trails and water, while the owners enjoy the nature surroundings. This is a leash-free park.
- Shoal Creek - Located in the Shoal Creek Greenbelt in the Pease Park area between 24th Street and 29th Street. It has a nice walking and running trail that is shaded by large trees and is leash-free.
- Zilker Park - Just East of Mo-Pac Expressway on the South shore of Lady Bird Lake is Zilker Park's Great Lawn. This 46-acre park is covered with lush grass and is leash-free.
- Turkey Creek Trail - Located at 1600 City Park Road and within Emma Long Metropolitan Park. The 2.5 mile long trail winds along and through a creek.