Thunderstorm Tips for Dog Owners
Thunderstorms can be scary for your pets. You can show your dog that you care about him by comforting him during a storm without making him feel more anxious. You can assist your pet in overcoming his fear with a few helpful tools.
- Be Available - When possible, stay at home during thunderstorms to make your dog feel more secure. If he feels more comfortable lying next to you during a storm, then let him. Try not to give too much affection or feel sorry for him though because this will only make him feel like his fear is justified.
- Distraction - One way to keep your dog calm is to keep him distracted. You can play with his toys or use treats to practice simple tricks and keep him focused on you. This tip will only work if your dog's anxiety level isn't too high.
- Clothing - If your dog is comfortable wearing clothing, this can help to calm him down by applying pressure to his body. There are companies that sell products specifically for this reason, but using pet clothing you already have can work as well.
- Kennel - If your dog has a kennel or enclosed place where he feels calm, you can use this to keep him from pacing or hiding in a corner. On the other hand, if your pet is normally anxious within his kennel, this would not be a good option.
- Nutritional Supplements - If your dog's anxiety becomes too severe, you can try certain calming supplements. By doing just a little bit of research, you can have a wonderfully relaxed pet.
Thunderstorms can be traumatizing to an animal, and a pet owner's attitude will make the biggest difference in their dog's level of anxiety. For more advice and recommendations, please stop by the Healthy Pet Store.