Menu
North Austin: 512-215-2368 South Austin: 512-892-8848 downtown: 512-350-2277

Dangers of Drinking River/Lake Water

Dangers of Drinking River/Lake Water

Dangers of Drinking River/Lake Water

It’s officially Greenbelt season in Austin! While we love to get out and enjoy the warm days with our best friends, it’s important to not let them drink out of the Greenbelt (or any natural body of water). Your pup can contract many diseases from something that seems harmless! Here are some of the risks involved:

Bacteria. Natural bodies of water are often highly contaminated with animal or human waste, which means they often include various species of bacteria. This can cause leptospirosis. While there are vaccines for this disease, it can become deadly if left untreated.

Parasites. Natural water sources can also be breeding grounds for parasites. Some parasites can also affect us humans, but this isn’t always the case.

Chemicals. These can be from runoff from surrounding lands, or gasoline and oil from boaters.

Blue-green algae. These aren’t really a plant but are bacteria that forms blooms that float on the water’s surface. Your pup can swallow these while drinking or swimming. Some include toxins that lead to liver failure or affect the nervous system. Symptoms may appear right after ingestion, including vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, collapse and death.

If your dog starts exhibiting any symptoms after drinking lake water or swimming in it, you should take him to the vet ASAP.

The best way to keep your furry friend protected is to bring your own clean water! Be sure to pick up a collapsible water bowl or travel water bottle to have on hand whenever your pup may need a drink. We also recommend giving your pooch the Honest Kitchen Perfect Form herbal supplement to help with digestion after a visit to the Greenbelt.